PostHeaderIcon Another “ism”

Perhaps it’s not the worst of all the “ism’s” – race-ism, sex-ism; but my latest pet hate is age-ism.

When I say latest that’s not strictly true. It’s been a pet hate for a while now as I’ve found myself in the position of having to justify my age to someone who most often is younger than me. I get that anyone under 25 thinks 25 and over is OLD but hey, isn’t 40 the new 30?

What a bizarre twist this is when you consider how many times we all tried to pretend we were older to gain entrance to a venue or join a group.

My days of pretending to be older are long gone and these days I’m  happy with where I’m at however, I’m constantly frustrated by other people who seem unable to accept me for who I am and try to categorise me because of their age perceptions.

When I decided to travel and wanted to work at Summer Camp USA I was initially told I was too old but when I persisted and gained an interview I was suddenly found to be a perfect candidate and received a placement. What a surprise it must have been to the 20something interviewer as he told me, “he couldn’t believe how well he was getting on with me and how lively and energetic I seemed!”

For heavens sake – is 40 the new 95 in his eyes?

I’ve noticed most over 40’s have more energy and enthusiasm for living life and experiencing new things than the under 30’s who live for the latest X-box game or I-phone update so there!

What’s brought this outburst on you may ask? TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY and whilst I’ve had a lovely champagne brekky and am enjoying my day, I received a phone call from someone checking a form I’d filled out in relation to my future accommodation in the UK because she thought my birth date must be incorrect.

In fairness, I understand it’s not everyone over 40 who wishes to live in shared accommodation, particularly when the other occupants may be a lot younger however, I thought it was overkill when after I confirmed my birthdate she still had to ask in a shocked tone, “so how old are you?”

It seems I have come a full circle from trying to prove I was old enough to participate to nowadays, trying to prove I’m young enough to participate. Luckily, I like me just the way I am.

Happy Birthday to me.

Happy Birthday to me

Happy Birthday to me

13 Responses to “Another “ism””

• Celeste Cain says:

Carolyn, I just read your post on Another “Ism”, and I must say what an inspiration you are to us all in all walks of life. I am in my late 30’s and feel the time clock ticking. How ever, I do feel I am a beautiful person inside and am happy with my looks and can surely learn from you that as long as I am happy inside that others in turn shall follow suit. It really shouldn’t matter to most people but age somehow does. I think you should pat yourself on the back and be proud of how many people’s perceptions have changed all because of you! You are a sexy beautiful REMARKABLE WOMAN, and I for one am glad I know you! Have a Wonderful Birthday Beautiful!

• iwom001 says:

Hey Celeste – I’m so glad you’re still reading, staying in touch and most of all, finding some inspiration in my chatter.
      Keep smiling and believing in yourself because you’re right, it flows out to those around you…be whatever you want to be and who cares about what number we have?!

• ilse says:

Did a bubble jump in your eye ? :)

• Nicolas says:

Amazing! Not clear for me, how offen you updating your iwomweknownolimits.com.
    Have a nice day
    Nicolas

• iwom001 says:

Hi Nicolas – I’m glad you’re enjoying this. I aim to update weekly but I’ve been moving around so it’s been a little difficult.
      When I relocate to UK in February it will be more regular – for now, I’m doing my best.

• Sonia says:

Hey ya girlfriend.
    Im so proud of you and so delighted all is going well for you. You are an amazing woman and I say live your dream. Im starting to I went to Elvis in Parkes and it was a dream come true for me. A lot is going to change this year. I say all you say. You are an inspiration. XX

• iwom001 says:

Hey yourself – so glad you’ve had one dream come true, remember, it’s only the beginning – if you can dream it you can do it. Thanks so much for your kind words, watch this space and I’ll try to keep you inspired. :-)

• Erica says:

Happy belated birthday. I am still under 25 (at least for another few months) but I definitely don’t think anyone above 25 is OLD. 40 is totally the new 30, and 30 is the new 20.

You’re only as old (or young!) as you feel.

• loans says:

I want to thank the blogger very much not only for this post but also for his all previous efforts. I found iwomweknownolimits.com to be greatly interesting. I will be coming back to iwomweknownolimits.com for more information.

• TGMcCoy says:

You have tested it and writing form your personal experience or you find some information online?

• iwom001 says:

Hi – My writing is from my own experiences and from feedback people give me about the difference between being positive and believing in yourself or being negative and holding yourself back.